Re: Feedback for compiler project

"Joachim Durchholz" <joachim_d@gmx.de>
6 Oct 2001 16:34:12 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Feedback for compiler project iddekingej@lycos.com (2001-09-20)
Re: Feedback for compiler project joachim_d@gmx.de (Joachim Durchholz) (2001-10-06)
Re: Feedback for compiler project iddekingej@lycos.com (2001-10-10)
Re: Feedback for compiler project joachim_d@gmx.de (Joachim Durchholz) (2001-10-12)
Re: Feedback for compiler project vbdis@aol.com (2001-10-12)
Re: Feedback for compiler project dmitry@elros.cbb-automation.de (2001-10-13)
Re: Feedback for compiler project iddekingej@lycos.com (2001-10-13)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: "Joachim Durchholz" <joachim_d@gmx.de>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 6 Oct 2001 16:34:12 -0400
Posted-Date: 06 Oct 2001 16:34:12 EDT

J.van Iddekinge <iddekingej@lycos.com> wrote:
> For more info www.elaya.org

Would you mind making the site accessible to those who can't use
JavaScript? I did manage to get some useful information out of the
site, but only because I happen to be able to read JavaScript code.

> It would be verry usefull and interesting for me when I get some
> feedback or Comments.

Dynamic routines are inheritance on a by-routine basis. I don't think
this is very useful (you usually want to override several functions in
lock-step; this is why OO is usually based on classes).

Notational nit to pick: what you call "pass by name" is usually called
"named parameters" or somesuch (look at the reference manual for Ada,
it has the same mechanism). "call by name" is something entirely
different (powerful, but inexpressive in surprising ways; look in the
comp.compilers archives for discussions of this feature).

The overloading stuff was already present in ELAN, the language I
learnt programming with. (It had a simple rule: the types of
parameters were considered part of the name. It's the language I
learnt with, and when Ada was introduced a year later, I was quite
surprised that everybody was so exciting about its overloading...)

I don't wish to discourage you, but it looks as if you have started
your project with little knowledge of programming languages in
general. Expect to learn a great deal about building a compiler, but
don't expect to see that language in wide use.

Regards,
Joachim