Re: generic intermediate optimization library (steve)
21 Sep 2001 23:41:09 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
generic intermediate optimization library peterr@cse.unsw.EDU.AU (Peter Rickwood) (2001-09-20)
Re: generic intermediate optimization library (2001-09-21)
Re: generic intermediate optimization library (Tzvetan Mikov) (2001-09-25)
Re: generic intermediate optimization library (Tim Dwyer) (2001-09-26)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: (steve)
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 21 Sep 2001 23:41:09 -0400
Posted-Date: 21 Sep 2001 23:41:09 EDT

Peter Rickwood <peterr@cse.unsw.EDU.AU> wrote in message news:01-09-088...
> Is anyone aware of any existing libraries/API's which do optimization
> on a well-defined, documented, retargetable intermediate language?
> So, for example, a library that allows you to pass in (say) the root
> node of an expression tree, and performs specified optimizations on
> that tree, outputting an optimized syntax tree in the same
> intermediate language...
> I realize that open-source compilers of course have optimizing code,
> but I'm wondering how modular this code is (ie. how easily it can be
> stripped out and used in isolation)....

Yep gcc, you can hack the libs. I did it once, don't know how it
evolved but there was no real documentation.

Give a try to C--, it's a kind of general purpose optimizing assembly
. There is an equivalent system build in the ML comunity,don't remeber
the name.

Give a try also to system like trafola...

But those work on a kind of assembly language (or three adress code).
There a research projects on building compiling environements. Try a
look at smart-tools it's still not in a state where it can be used for
anything usefull, but it has a good basis. And there are some
researchs close to be released, about tree optimizations systems.

Good luck