Re: ARM compiler/assembler written in java (any book recomendations)

Lin Ke-Fong <akhuang@earthlink.net>
20 Aug 2001 01:43:37 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
ARM compiler/assembler written in java (any book recomendations) little.jones.family@ntlworld.com (jones) (2001-08-18)
Re: ARM compiler/assembler written in java (any book recomendations) akhuang@earthlink.net (Lin Ke-Fong) (2001-08-20)
Re: ARM compiler/assembler written in java (any book recomendations) little.jones.family@ntlworld.com (jones) (2001-08-25)
Re: ARM compiler/assembler written in java (any book recomendations) tfjellstrom@home.com (Thomas Fjellstrom) (2001-09-03)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Lin Ke-Fong <akhuang@earthlink.net>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 20 Aug 2001 01:43:37 -0400
Posted-Date: 20 Aug 2001 01:43:36 EDT

> I have read the FAQ and I cant seem to find any modern book on writing
> compilers in Java except for Appel. what other good (modern if possible(I
> have the dragon book and am starting it)) for an introduction are there ?

I would probably stay with the Dragon book, what's important are the
ideas, techniques, and the theory involved in the building of a
compiler or an assembler, not the implementation language.

The Dragon book should be a good introduction, the first part about
lexical and syntaxic analysis is still up to date, the second part
about code generation and optimization is probably a little bit
outdated, but that's okay for an introduction.

The language of the book is C but most of the algorithms are described
in a pseudo-language, so you shouldn't have to much problem
implementing them in Java.

Now, if you're looking for a book with a complete compiler as a
running example to help your understanding of the material, Appel's
book should be for you.