Re: XML IL

dale@formosa.micro.lucent.com (Dale_Parson)
18 Aug 2001 00:43:21 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
XML IL acolvin@bbn.com (Alex Colvin) (2001-08-15)
Re: XML IL jacob@jacob.remcomp.fr (jacob navia) (2001-08-17)
Re: XML IL joachim_d@gmx.de (Joachim Durchholz) (2001-08-17)
Re: XML IL maslen@pobox.com (Thomas Maslen) (2001-08-17)
Re: XML IL dale@formosa.micro.lucent.com (2001-08-18)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: dale@formosa.micro.lucent.com (Dale_Parson)
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 18 Aug 2001 00:43:21 -0400
Posted-Date: 18 Aug 2001 00:43:21 EDT

jacob navia <jacob@jacob.remcomp.fr> wrote:
>I have incorporated XML into my resource editor. (lcc-win32) The next
>step is to generate XML to hold the browse information, and
>(eventually) all debug information.

A few of us here at Agere Systems (which used to be part of Bell Labs
which used to exist) who design & build embedded processing software
tools (especially debuggers & profilers) have started prototyping a
XML carrier for debug information that traditionally comes to a
debugger via DWARF (or similar). We get the target process state
information (which changes frqeuently) via a RPC mechanism against an
API (that could be standardized), we (are starting to) get debugging
symbolic info (which changes infrequently) via XML.

It seems to make sense, not only for portability among compilers, but
also for distributed debugging, cross debugging, etc., where the
debugger machine is different from the target.

Don't have any results yet. Would be interested in hearing similar
tales, pitfalls, etc.

Dale Parson, Consulting Member of Tech. Staff
Agere Systems, dparson@agere.com