Re: Compilers and using gcc as part of the compiler

Axel Kittenberger <axel@dtone.org>
17 Aug 2001 00:14:12 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Compilers and using gcc as part of the compiler nicholas.king@studentmail.newcastle.edu.au (Nicholas King) (2001-08-15)
Re: Compilers and using gcc as part of the compiler fjh@cs.mu.OZ.AU (2001-08-16)
Re: Compilers and using gcc as part of the compiler axel@dtone.org (Axel Kittenberger) (2001-08-17)
Re: Compilers and using gcc as part of the compiler joachim_d@gmx.de (Joachim Durchholz) (2001-08-18)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Axel Kittenberger <axel@dtone.org>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 17 Aug 2001 00:14:12 -0400
Posted-Date: 17 Aug 2001 00:14:12 EDT

> Now i was thinking would it be possible to use the gcc backend as the code
> generation phrase? But i am unable to find anything on gcc architecture.
> Any help would be appreciated.

Take a look here:

http://cobolforgcc.sourceforge.net/cobol_14.html#SEC48

Primary this is from the gcc-cobol frontend description, but this
particular chapter gives a general introduction how to write a
frontend for gcc, it's the best I know, because it's the only
documentation regarding this I know :o)

However last time I checked it was a bit out of date, it descriped the
process for gcc 2.7, today with gcc 3.0 internal memory management is
fundamental different. Even with gcc 2.95.3 there are (some)
differences.

From my part I also decided to keep for now translating to C source code,
it's far easier to program, and it's far easier to debug the compiler
output. Interaction with the gcc backend is a luxury, something nice to
have, but one can survive without. One day I also want to grab directly
into the gcc structure, but actually this can wait.

- Axel