Re: Compiler detection of buffer overflows

daw@mozart.cs.berkeley.edu (David Wagner)
15 Aug 2001 01:14:53 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Compiler detection of buffer overflows bje@air.net.au (Ben Elliston) (2001-08-08)
Re: Compiler detection of buffer overflows derek@knosof.co.uk (2001-08-15)
Re: Compiler detection of buffer overflows daw@mozart.cs.berkeley.edu (2001-08-15)
Re: Compiler detection of buffer overflows prener@watson.ibm.com (prener) (2001-08-18)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: daw@mozart.cs.berkeley.edu (David Wagner)
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 15 Aug 2001 01:14:53 -0400
Posted-Date: 15 Aug 2001 01:14:53 EDT

Ben Elliston wrote:
>I am seeking references to work in the area of static and/or dynamic
>detection and prevention of buffer overflows.

There's been a bit of work in this area lately, so I'll just list
some of the recent references; you can trace citations backwards
in those papers to find other potentially relevant work.

David Larochelle and David Evans.
``Statically Detecting Likely Buffer Overflow Vulnerabilities.''
2001 USENIX Security Symp.,
http://www.cs.virginia.edu/~evans/usenix01-abstract.html

Dor Nurit, Rodeh Michael, and Sagiv Mooly.
``Cleanness Checking of String Manipulations in C Programs via Integer
Analysis.'' SAS'01, http://www.math.tau.ac.il/~nurr/SAS01.ps

John Viega, J.T. Bloch, Tadayoshi Kohno, Gary McGraw.
``ITS4: A Static Vulnerability Scanner for C and C++ Code.''
ACSAC'00, http://www.cigital.com/its4/

Crispin Cowan, Perry Wagle, Calton Pu, Steve Beattie, Jonathan Walpole.
``Buffer Overflows: Attacks and Defenses for the Vulnerability of the Decade.''
http://community.core-sdi.com/~juliano/discex00.pdf

``A First Step Towards Automated Detection of Buffer Overrun Vulnerabilities.''
NDSS 2000, http://www.cs.berkeley.edu/~daw/papers/overruns-ndss00.ps

There are other lexical code scanning tools, such as RATS
(http://www.securesw.com/rats/) and flawfinder
(http://www.dwheeler.com/flawfinder/).

Some more references may be found in my PhD thesis:
http://www.cs.berkeley.edu/~daw/papers/phd-dis.ps