Re: -Bsymbolic for exactly one symbol. (John F Carr)
8 Aug 2001 13:35:21 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
-Bsymbolic for exactly one symbol. (2001-08-08)
Re: -Bsymbolic for exactly one symbol. (2001-08-08)
Re: -Bsymbolic for exactly one symbol. (Ian Lance Taylor) (2001-08-15)
Re: -Bsymbolic for exactly one symbol. (Shankar Unni) (2001-08-15)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: (John F Carr)
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 8 Aug 2001 13:35:21 -0400
Posted-Date: 08 Aug 2001 13:35:21 EDT

Roman Shaposhnick <> wrote:

>Of course the problem is related to the fact, that references to UNDEF symbols
>in shared objects are not bound at a link phase, but instead they are being
>resolved by a dynamic linker. One option is to use -Bsymbolic when linking
>, but it will *resolve* all references to a local symbols from
>that, which is not desirable, since it won't let me override them
>later on.
>So my question is: how can I force linker to resolve just one reference
>to the particular symbol ( A::A() from the in my example ).

Many linkers offer control over resolution of individual symbols.
I recall some SVR4 linkers accepting -Bsymbolic:<filename>, where
the file contains a list of symbols to be bound within the library.
AIX has always allowed you to specify which symbols are internal and
external, using the -bE: directive. Sun has yet another type of
control file, and it changed around Solaris 2.5 or 2.6.

        John Carr (