Looking for scripting suggestions

ev@hysar.frmul.com (Spam MeNot)
30 Jul 2001 01:27:28 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Looking for scripting suggestions ev@hysar.frmul.com (2001-07-30)
Re: Looking for scripting suggestions joachim_d@gmx.de (Joachim Durchholz) (2001-08-02)
Re: Looking for scripting suggestions erictetz@yahoo.com (Eric Tetz) (2001-08-02)
Re: Looking for scripting suggestions george.goffe@seagate.com (2001-08-02)
Re: Looking for scripting suggestions jimbo@radiks.net (2001-08-02)
Re: Looking for scripting suggestions joshualevy@yahoo.com (2001-08-02)
Re: Looking for scripting suggestions Ron@Profit-Master.com (Ron Pinkas) (2001-08-02)

From: ev@hysar.frmul.com (Spam MeNot)
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 30 Jul 2001 01:27:28 -0400
Posted-Date: 30 Jul 2001 01:27:28 EDT

I'm looking for a scripting library that can be embedded in an
application. What I want is fairly simple, but difficult to locate.

First, the syntax has to be simple and comfortable. I need for
non-programmers to be able to generate these simple scripts.

Second, the language should be non-typed. This makes it easier for
new users to pickup.

Next, and this one is a bit strange, I don't want it able to do a
great deal of processing. The idea is that these scripts could do
simple conditional checks and validations on data entry, but any
serious processing would be delegated to a remote service.

Also, it needs to be embeddable and simply extendable. I will be
wanting to add access to certain functions in the host environment
that the script is running in. The main application is written in
C/C++.

Finally, it should be small. I'm not looking for a "DO EVERYTHING"
type language.

As I started poking around, I thought perhaps JavaScript would do the
job. It's syntax is familiar (to web developers and programmers) and
has some of the other features. The SpiderMonkey version from
Mozilla, but it was a bit cumbersom to use. I also looked at NJS.
This one has potential, when the full port to C is complete.

I also though strongly of TCL. This is what it was originally
designed for, but it is growing into a full platform of it's own.
Also, though I like TCL, it's syntax is a bit odd.

Lastly I considered a flavour of BASIC. This one has potential. As I
want the scripts to manipulate data fields and call other methods, I'm
not certain I need any form of OO.

So basically, if you were developing an application that could load
different control pages (think of a web browser that loads different
web pages) and you wanted to be able to embed simple
control/validation scripting into the pages, what would you consider
using for a language?

J.
[I'd use an old version of TCL. -John]