Re: ANNOUNCE: Tiny, a parser generator for context sensitive grammars

"Joachim Durchholz" <joachim_d@gmx.de>
30 Jul 2001 01:24:35 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
ANNOUNCE: Tiny, a parser generator for context sensitive grammars maurice@gittens.nl (Maurice Gittens) (2001-07-23)
Re: ANNOUNCE: Tiny, a parser generator for context sensitive gram eodell@c1220335-a.potlnd1.or.home.com (2001-07-27)
Re: ANNOUNCE: Tiny, a parser generator for context sensitive grammars wb@vestein.arb-phys.uni-dortmund.de (2001-07-30)
Re: ANNOUNCE: Tiny, a parser generator for context sensitive grammars joachim_d@gmx.de (Joachim Durchholz) (2001-07-30)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: "Joachim Durchholz" <joachim_d@gmx.de>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 30 Jul 2001 01:24:35 -0400
Posted-Date: 30 Jul 2001 01:24:34 EDT

Eric O'Dell <eodell@c1220335-a.potlnd1.or.home.com> wrote:

> I dusted off my very rusty set theory and took a look at your paper,
> which is indeed interesting. However, I was wondering if you could
> give some examples of the sorts of constructs that are possible with
> dotted grammars which aren't possible (or are exceedingly difficult)
> in ordinary LALR grammars?

My theory says that context-sensitive grammars can handle non-local
stuff usually stored as tree decoration, such as type information
(i.e. type errors become syntax errors with the right grammar).

A parser generator for context-sensitive grammars is an interesting
thing, though I'm not sure how well it will work in practice. (Things
to consider: "obviousness" of conflicts, speed of parser generator and
parser, error diagnostics, how straightforward is it to encode type
information and such in a context-sensitive grammer, and probably a
whole lot more things.)

Regards,
Joachim