Re: the long way to the development of a compiler

"Stefano Lanzavecchia" <stf@apl.it>
2 Jul 2001 12:29:40 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
the long way to the development of a compiler stf@apl.it (Stefano Lanzavecchia) (2001-06-28)
Re: the long way to the development of a compiler lockner@chaos.cns.uni.edu (Matthew J.Lockner) (2001-07-01)
Re: the long way to the development of a compiler neelk@alum.mit.edu (2001-07-02)
Re: the long way to the development of a compiler dlindauer@notifier-is.net (david lindauer) (2001-07-02)
Re: the long way to the development of a compiler walter@nospamm-digitalmars.com (walter) (2001-07-02)
Re: the long way to the development of a compiler stf@apl.it (Stefano Lanzavecchia) (2001-07-02)
Re: the long way to the development of a compiler christian.bau@isltd.insignia.com (Christian Bau) (2001-07-02)
Re: the long way to the development of a compiler aleksey+@cs.cmu.edu (Aleksey Kliger) (2001-07-03)
Re: the long way to the development of a compiler neelk@alum.mit.edu (2001-07-03)
Re: the long way to the development of a compiler franck.pissotte@free.fr (Franck Pissotte) (2001-07-03)
Re: the long way to the development of a compiler marcov@toad.stack.nl (2001-07-06)
Re: the long way to the development of a compiler frido@q-software-solutions.com (Friedrich Dominicus) (2001-07-17)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: "Stefano Lanzavecchia" <stf@apl.it>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 2 Jul 2001 12:29:40 -0400
Posted-Date: 02 Jul 2001 12:29:40 EDT

First of all I would like to thank all the people who replied to my
request as soon as the message appeared in the newsgroup. I am really
impressed by the competence and the friendliness of everybody.
I'll use Matthew's reply for a couple of comments.

"Matthew J.Lockner" <lockner@chaos.cns.uni.edu> wrote in message
> It's probably not what you had in mind, but I feel compelled to refer
> you to the textbook for my compiler course: Modern Compiler
> Implementation in
> (C|Java|ML) by Andrew Appel.

Many people suggested the purchase of the book. While the reviews on
Amazon are quite bad, I was also quite attracted by it (so, in a sense,
it was what I had in mind), even before I posted the message. Therefore
I decided to buy it.

Many people also recommended the book on the LCC compiler. Since the
latter is a bit pricey I'll keep it in my wish list for another while.
But I will certainly look for references on burg/iburg and the other
code selectors mentioned in the freely available papers on LCC.

> One of my planned projects on the horizon might be to see how
> well the book's methods stack up to the 6502 (I have an old C128 that
> has sadly fallen into disuse).

My planned project (it's for a friend as well as my amusement) is to
implement a compiler targeting PIC microcontrollers. I already know that
the approach should be very different (the Microchip 16c55 doesn't even
have a stack worth the name), but I thought that I could use the
occasion to learn a little bit about code generation in general.

Other people sent me papers (and thanks to those references I came
across a great site loaded with good papers, with an easy search engine,
namely http://citeseer.nj.nec.com/) as well as URL's to compilers of
various degrees of complexity. It will take time to process all this
information but, once again, I am really grateful to all those who spent
their time to collect it and send it to me.

If one day I manage to make anything out of it, I'll probably try and
summarise my experience, as well as produce a simple post for a future
FAQ.
--
WildHeart'2k1 - mailto:stf@apl.it
Homepage: http://come.to/wildheart/