Re: compiler, linker and libraries

"Matthew J. Lockner" <lockner@chaos.cns.uni.edu>
1 Jul 2001 23:45:29 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
compiler, linker and libraries te-cheng_shen@agilent.com (TC Shen) (2001-06-21)
Re: compiler, linker and libraries britsc@cadvision.com (Lionel Brits) (2001-06-28)
Re: compiler, linker and libraries lockner@chaos.cns.uni.edu (Matthew J. Lockner) (2001-07-01)
Re: compiler, linker and libraries marcov@toad.stack.nl (2001-07-03)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: "Matthew J. Lockner" <lockner@chaos.cns.uni.edu>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 1 Jul 2001 23:45:29 -0400
Posted-Date: 01 Jul 2001 23:45:28 EDT

TC Shen wrote:

> Hello
> Can anyone show me links to explanation of the relations among
> compilers, linkers and libraries. How they work with each other?

For an introduction or primer, you might try looking at the chapters
dealing with the subjects in these books:

Expert C Programming: Deep C Secrets, by Peter van der Linden
Structured Computer Organization, by Andrew S. Tanenbaum.

As for links: I might be accused of brown-nosing the moderator on this one,
but I would point you toward <http://www.iecc.com/linker/>, where you will
find online and downloadable versions of a draft of "Linkers and Loaders"
by John Levine. In searching for information on the above topics myself,
and finding very little, I'm beginning to believe this must be something of
an obscure topic, which makes the Levine text a tome on the subject by
comparison.
[All things being equal, the moderator would prefer that you buy the book
if you like the drafts on the web site. Peter vdL's book is also good.
-John]