py - Perl Yacc

Knud Werner <>
28 Jun 2001 23:39:57 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
py - Perl Yacc (Knud Werner) (2001-06-28)
Re: py - Perl Yacc (Joachim Pimiskern) (2001-07-03)
Re: py - Perl Yacc (Knud Werner) (2001-07-06)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Knud Werner <>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 28 Jun 2001 23:39:57 -0400
Posted-Date: 28 Jun 2001 23:39:57 EDT

Hi all,

I'd like to announce the availabilty of py 0.4, a parser generator
a'la bison generating perl output. It was originally designed and
implemented by Mark-Jason Dominus, while I added some patches to ease
it's use. Actually py is not a parser generator by itself, but works
by using bison as follows:

You write a file in bison syntax with perl actions instead of C
actions embedded into the grammar definition. The special tokens '(-'
and '-)' are used in order to separate the grammar from the perl code

The perl code is stripped from Your file, obtaining an 'empty' grammar,
which is feed to bison with the '-v' option generating a description of
the finite state automaton

This description of the automaton is read and translated into a perl
parser, embedding the originally stripped perl code in the rules

That's all :-) Further details may be found at (the original version

while the actual version is available at (the current version

Comments welcome!

Regards, Knud