Re: HLL expression -> ASM (Henry Spencer)
10 Apr 2001 01:45:45 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
[2 earlier articles]
Re: HLL expression -> ASM (Alexei A. Frounze) (2001-03-31)
Re: HLL expression -> ASM (Ben L. Titzer) (2001-03-31)
Re: HLL expression -> ASM (Randall Hyde) (2001-03-31)
Re: HLL expression -> ASM (Marco van de Voort) (2001-04-04)
Re: HLL expression -> ASM (Alexei A. Frounze) (2001-04-10)
Re: HLL expression -> ASM (Bill A.) (2001-04-10)
Re: HLL expression -> ASM (2001-04-10)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: (Henry Spencer)
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 10 Apr 2001 01:45:45 -0400
Posted-Date: 10 Apr 2001 01:45:45 EDT

Randall Hyde <> wrote:
>Note, btw, that Alex failed to mention that the target platform is
>the x86 which has limited registers and each register has some
>special uses that may or may not be needed...

Ah, but is it a *recent* x86? Yes, it makes a difference, because the
modern processors do various kinds of run-time optimization which can
make the actual hardware behave very differently from what the
architecture manual says. I'm told that nowadays, if you slice off a
32-word chunk of memory and pretend it's registers, you will find that
your program behaves as if it was... because the internal on-the-fly
register renaming of the elaborately-pipelined Pentium processors more
or less makes it so.

(This is secondhand info and I regret that I don't know details.)
When failure is not an option, success | Henry Spencer
can get expensive. -- Peter Stibrany | (aka