Re: help with EBNF grammar

Ralph Boland <>
31 Mar 2001 02:36:02 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
help with EBNF grammar (Paul Meaney) (2001-03-28)
Re: help with EBNF grammar (William S. Lear) (2001-03-31)
Re: help with EBNF grammar (Ralph Boland) (2001-03-31)
Re: help with EBNF grammar (Mahesha N) (2001-03-31)
Re: help with EBNF grammar (Raymond Limpus) (2001-03-31)
Re: help with EBNF grammar (Mike Dimmick) (2001-03-31)
Re: help with EBNF grammar (Barry Watson) (2001-04-04)
Re: help with EBNF grammar (William S. Lear) (2001-04-04)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Ralph Boland <>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers,
Date: 31 Mar 2001 02:36:02 -0500
Posted-Date: 31 Mar 2001 02:36:02 EST

Paul Meaney wrote:

> Does anyone know of any resources on the web/ good books on the
> subject that can teach someone who is not stupid the basics of EBNF,
> parse trees and recursive- descent parsing?
> [You could do that, although it's overkill for such a simple problem
> unless you're doing it as an exercise in learning about JavaCC. Just
> about every compiler text starts with an expression calculator example,
> so I'd take another look at those books. They're not all hopelessly
> mathematical. -John]

There are users of this news group who know a LOT more about compilers
than I know. Nevertheless I expect to be teaching a course on
compiler construction (for the first time) this fall so I know some
and may be able to help. Unfortunately I am not available for any
amount of time until mid April. After that I would be prepared to
answer your questions.

If your grammar is simple enough then a recurvive decent compiler is
pretty easy to write. Are you comfortable with programs that are
highly recursive?

Ralph Boland