HLL expression -> ASM

"Alexei A. Frounze" <alexfru@chat.ru>
26 Mar 2001 13:55:46 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
HLL expression -> ASM alexfru@chat.ru (Alexei A. Frounze) (2001-03-26)
Re: HLL expression -> ASM danb2k@hotmail.com (Dan Bishop) (2001-03-27)
Re: HLL expression -> ASM dummy_addressee@hotmail.com (Alexei A. Frounze) (2001-03-31)
Re: HLL expression -> ASM titzer@expert.cc.purdue.edu (Ben L. Titzer) (2001-03-31)
Re: HLL expression -> ASM rhyde@transdimension.com (Randall Hyde) (2001-03-31)
Re: HLL expression -> ASM marcov@stack.nl (Marco van de Voort) (2001-04-04)
Re: HLL expression -> ASM dummy_addressee@hotmail.com (Alexei A. Frounze) (2001-04-10)

From: "Alexei A. Frounze" <alexfru@chat.ru>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 26 Mar 2001 13:55:46 -0500
Posted-Date: 26 Mar 2001 13:55:46 EST

Hi guys.....
I've got a question...

I know how to parse the source, how to evaluate expressions several
similar ways: recursively or using stack(s). OK, that works perfectly,
no problems. And I can create a tree for the expression as well.

Now, how do I transform the tree/whatever (let's say only integer
values/vars involved in the expression) into an ASM piece of code w/o
consuming extra memory for partial results, just using CPU registers?
Is there any basic idea/algorithm which I'm missing? It must be
simple, I guess...

Thanks.
--
Alexei A. Frounze