Re: Microcontroller Compilers (C)

"Joachim Durchholz" <joachim_d@gmx.de>
14 Mar 2001 00:07:28 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Re: Microcontroller Compilers (C) qarnos@ozemail.com.au (QarnoS) (2001-02-15)
Re: Microcontroller Compilers (C) henry@spsystems.net (2001-02-15)
Re: Microcontroller Compilers (C) mobius@news.eecs.umich.edu (2001-02-17)
Re: Microcontroller Compilers (C) leupers@ls12.cs.uni-dortmund.de (Rainer Leupers) (2001-02-17)
Re: Microcontroller Compilers (C) joachim_d@gmx.de (Joachim Durchholz) (2001-03-04)
Re: Microcontroller Compilers (C) leupers@ls12.cs.uni-dortmund.de (Rainer Leupers) (2001-03-08)
Re: Microcontroller Compilers (C) joachim_d@gmx.de (Joachim Durchholz) (2001-03-14)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: "Joachim Durchholz" <joachim_d@gmx.de>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 14 Mar 2001 00:07:28 -0500
Posted-Date: 14 Mar 2001 00:07:27 EST

Rainer Leupers <leupers@ls12.cs.uni-dortmund.de> wrote:
> In fact, a number of universities and research institutes have
> signed that NDA without any complaints, so it doesn't seem to be a
> big problem for others.

Hmm... the difference is probably that an institute can afford the
legal advice to make sure that they comply with the NDA, and to settle
the dispute if one arises, while a private person (contract worker,
private researcher, hobbyist, amateur, Open Source developer) cannot.

The point is that a private person may come into a situation where his
advice on the usefulness of some tools is asked, and if the license
had been friendlier he might have toyed with it and found it useful.

[This is my last post on the subject, due to diminishing relevance to
compilers. I just hope some of the readers here are in a situation
similar to that of Rainer, and that the arguments above are a help
towards convincing an industrial partner to drop an NDA. 'nuff said.]

> Nevertheless, we will think about your comments
> concerning the "restrictive" sections of the NDA.

That's great. Thanks.

Regards,
Joachim