symbol database for C++ compiler

"khoury" <khoury@club-internet.fr>
23 Feb 2001 00:09:32 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
symbol database for C++ compiler khoury@club-internet.fr (khoury) (2001-02-23)
Re: symbol database for C++ compiler joachim_d@gmx.de (Joachim Durchholz) (2001-02-25)
Re: symbol database for C++ compiler broeker@physik.rwth-aachen.de (Hans-Bernhard Broeker) (2001-02-25)
Re: symbol database for C++ compiler s355171@student.uq.edu.au (Benjamin Johnston) (2001-02-25)
Re: symbol database for C++ compiler ucapjab@ucl.ac.uk (Jonathan Barker) (2001-03-01)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: "khoury" <khoury@club-internet.fr>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 23 Feb 2001 00:09:32 -0500
Posted-Date: 23 Feb 2001 00:09:32 EST

Hi all,
do you know about a c++ compiler that builds a database of all symbols
*before* compiling time, such as it knows about all dependencies before
starting to open all header files.
For instance :
#include <windows.h>
void main()
{
    DWORD i;
    // my code that uses i
}
here, the compiler has to parse all windows.h to notice that DWORD = long,
and we know it is a long time for large projects (for instance, when using
STL !)
I tried precompiled headers, and I know it can help, but I am looking for a
"step beyond" to help in reducing compilation time.
I have read Lakos book (large scale C++ projects), and I find very
interesting the concept of insulation. Though, a "database-compiler" can
still improve the system.
Thank you for your answers, and sorry if the subject has been already posted
(then, please give me the references to look at the previous answers).
Elie Khoury