Re: Testing of a compiler

Ben Elliston <>
23 Feb 2001 00:06:27 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Testing of a compiler (2000-06-14)
Re: Testing of a compiler (Ben Elliston) (2001-02-23)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Ben Elliston <>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 23 Feb 2001 00:06:27 -0500
Posted-Date: 23 Feb 2001 00:06:27 EST

    sandeep> I'm currently involved in writing a C Cross-Compiler. note that i'm a
    sandeep> novice in this area and one of my assignments is coming up with a
    sandeep> strategy for testing the cross-compiler.

There are a number of testing strategies:

* test that correct C programs are compiled correctly.
* test that incorrect C programs are diagnosed correctly.
* test that correct C programs will compile and run, producing
a result at their termination that can be tested for.
* test that old bugs, once fixed, do not reappear.

The GCC testsuite would be an excellent starting point for testing
your cross-compiler, as the thousands of test cases have already been written.

Conformance testsuites also exist, although they do not come cheaply.