Looking for existing research on a variation of CFGs

Todd Curtis Perry <tperry@stanford.edu>
17 Feb 2001 01:36:32 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Looking for existing research on a variation of CFGs tperry@stanford.edu (Todd Curtis Perry) (2001-02-17)
Re: Looking for existing research on a variation of CFGs torbenm@diku.dk (2001-02-23)
Re: Looking for existing research on a variation of CFGs huima@localhost.localdomain (Antti Huima) (2001-02-23)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Todd Curtis Perry <tperry@stanford.edu>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 17 Feb 2001 01:36:32 -0500
Posted-Date: 17 Feb 2001 01:36:32 EST

Could someone point me towards research that has done on the properities
of grammars made up of productions of the form A -> B where _both_ A and B
are strings of terminals or non-terminals.

For example, I imagine that the regular expression (0?1)+ could be parsed
into the parse tree for (0|e)1((0|e)1)* [where e is the empty string] by
the grammar:

(R|e) -> R?
R(R)* -> R+
R -> RR
R -> R|R
R -> (R)
R -> R*
R -> 0
R -> 1
R -> e

Thanks,
Todd Perry
[Those are context sensitive grammars. Look in books about compiler theory
and linguistics. -John]