Re: Definitions of Typecast etc.

vbdis@aol.com (VBDis)
17 Feb 2001 01:31:18 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Definitions of Typecast etc. vbdis@aol.com (2001-02-04)
Re: Definitions of Typecast etc. rkrayhawk@aol.com (2001-02-15)
Re: Definitions of Typecast etc. vbdis@aol.com (2001-02-17)
Re: Definitions of Typecast etc. rkrayhawk@aol.com (2001-02-23)
Re: Definitions of Typecast etc. joachim_d@gmx.de (Joachim Durchholz) (2001-02-25)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: vbdis@aol.com (VBDis)
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 17 Feb 2001 01:31:18 -0500
Posted-Date: 17 Feb 2001 01:31:18 EST

rkrayhawk@aol.com (RKRayhawk) schreibt:
>value typecasts - need other contributors here
>
>variable typecasts - need other contributors here

Just for completeness:

These terms are defined in Delphi, and describe the argument kind of the cast.
This distinction IMO is of little use, since a variable also is kind of an
expression.

The only essential difference, which I could find, applies assignments.
Only a variable typecast can result in an lval, which can be the target of an
assignment. In this case the size of the variable and casted type must be the
same.

---

Thanks to your contribution I conclude, that type conversion and type cast
differ in the /object/ of the cast. A type cast, for itself, will /never/
modify the information on which it is applied, it only changes the
/interpretation/ of it's argument. A type conversion instead can (at least)
modify the /stored information/, on which it is applied.

Is that assumption correct?

DoDi