Re: java compiler compilers

iank@idiom.com (Ian L. Kaplan)
15 Feb 2001 00:33:35 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
java compiler compilers tcarley@eng.umd.edu (Tom Carley) (2001-02-12)
Re: java compiler compilers iank@idiom.com (2001-02-15)
Re: java compiler compilers barry_j_kelly@hotmial.com (Barry Kelly) (2001-02-17)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: iank@idiom.com (Ian L. Kaplan)
Newsgroups: comp.compilers,comp.compilers.tools.javacc
Date: 15 Feb 2001 00:33:35 -0500
Posted-Date: 15 Feb 2001 00:33:34 EST

Tom Carley <tcarley@eng.umd.edu> wrote:
>I have a question about Java based compiler tools. I am starting a
>project in which I will be writing a compiler, and I'm not sure which
>tool to use. I like the Java based tools better than the c/c++ based
>tools because I think they are easier to use.

    I'm a big antlr fan. I am working on a Java to native compiler and
    I use a C++ parser generated by antlr as my front end.

    I have found that Java has terrible performance in compiler
    applications. Antlr itself is written in Java and it takes minutes
    to process my 5K line Java grammar. I have also written a Java
    class file disassembler, in Java. It is far slower than it would
    have been if written in C++ (see
    http://www.bearcave.com/software/java/javad/index.html for the
    source) . I have chosen to write my compiler in C++ rather than
    Java because of these performance issues, among other things (e.g.,
    Java has no generic support, like C++'s templates).

    Ian Kaplan
    i_a_n_k_(at)_j_a_v_a_c_o_m_p_i_l_e_r_s(dot)_c_o_m