java compiler compilers

Tom Carley <>
12 Feb 2001 01:19:08 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
java compiler compilers (Tom Carley) (2001-02-12)
Re: java compiler compilers (2001-02-15)
Re: java compiler compilers (Barry Kelly) (2001-02-17)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Tom Carley <>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers,
Date: 12 Feb 2001 01:19:08 -0500
Posted-Date: 12 Feb 2001 01:19:08 EST

I have a question about Java based compiler tools. I am starting a
project in which I will be writing a compiler, and I'm not sure which
tool to use. I like the Java based tools better than the c/c++ based
tools because I think they are easier to use. I have used Jlex with CUP
to write a compiler before, but I think there are better tools out
there. I am looking at both JavaCC and ANTLR. They seem to be the best
out there, but I'm not sure which to use. Does anyone have any opinions
based on experience with both (or other) tools?

Thanks for the advice,
        Tom Carley.