SPARC Solaris global (g2-g4) register preservation question

"Norman Black" <stonybrk@ix.netcom.com>
12 Feb 2001 01:17:23 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
SPARC Solaris global (g2-g4) register preservation question stonybrk@ix.netcom.com (Norman Black) (2001-02-12)
Re: SPARC Solaris global (g2-g4) register preservation question fjh@cs.mu.OZ.AU (2001-02-15)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: "Norman Black" <stonybrk@ix.netcom.com>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 12 Feb 2001 01:17:23 -0500
Posted-Date: 12 Feb 2001 01:17:23 EST

I am porting our Modula-2 compiler (the others get a free ride) to
SPARC Solaris from the Intel world. I wonder if anyone has information
on the preservation of the application reserved global registers
g2-g4.

The ABI states preserved across procedure calls. Another document I
saw said preserved across system calls.

I was think of having a "fast" globals (bss and data) sections and setting
up a register to point to these. I was also thinking of using a global as a
head pointer for a thread local exception handler chain. However I need to
know better specifics.
--
Norman Black
Stony Brook Software