Newbie SSA question
26 Jan 2001 16:56:17 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Newbie SSA question (2001-01-26)
Re: Newbie SSA question (Bob Morgan) (2001-02-01)
Re: Newbie SSA question (Anthony PIRON) (2001-02-01)
Re: Newbie SSA question (2001-02-01)
Re: Newbie SSA question (2001-02-12)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 26 Jan 2001 16:56:17 -0500
Posted-Date: 26 Jan 2001 16:56:17 EST

We're looking at implementing SSA in our compiler, and had a seemingly
silly question, but I can't find a definitive answer in the papers
that I've been reading (Cytron, The question is, when
converting to SSA form, are you actually allocating new variables for
each assignment, or are you just "renaming" them for notational
purposes?. If the latter, then converting out of SSA form would mean
simply "dropping the subscripts", as it were. We've had arguments
both ways, and it looks like the answer is that you are supposed to
allocate new variables for each new assignment, but an argument could
be made for the other point of view, and I wanted to see what other
had to say on the matter.

Thanks in advance!

Kevin Tucker
Development Systems