Re: Recognition of typedefs in C ?

Anthony PIRON <>
19 Jan 2001 23:27:27 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Recognition of typedefs in C ? (David Pereira) (2001-01-18)
Re: Recognition of typedefs in C ? (2001-01-19)
Re: Recognition of typedefs in C ? (Anthony PIRON) (2001-01-19)
Re: Recognition of typedefs in C ? (Joachim Pimiskern) (2001-01-19)
Re: Recognition of typedefs in C ? (Jos A. Horsmeier) (2001-01-26)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Anthony PIRON <>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 19 Jan 2001 23:27:27 -0500
Posted-Date: 19 Jan 2001 23:27:27 EST

  The better will probably be to move this recognition to the parsing
phase. The context concerns are typical things of the parser work -
nevertheless the extensions of lex can help to make some parts of the
work: with states and others concepts.
  A hierachical symbol table (in C: a tree rooted by a global table
followed by a local table for each function and next the block
structure) can do the work fine by saving the type of the identifiers.

Best regards.

David Pereira wrote:

> I need to enable the lexer to distinguish
> typedef names from ordinary identifiers. At first glance, it seemed
> that building a table of typedef names was enough - the lexer would
> consult this table and return TYPENAME if the name was found in this
> table, otherwise IDENTIFIER. However, this is inadequate since
> *context* matters. How can this context be discerned ?

Anthony PIRON - Researcher
Universite Libre de Bruxelles, Department of Computer Science
CP 212 - Boulevard du Triomphe, B-1050 Bruxelles, Belgium
Tel. +32 2 650 50 55, Fax +32 2 650 56 09, GSM +32 478 530 022
Email: Web: