Re: Fortran to Pascal Translator

Juergen Kahrs <jkahrs@castor.atlas.de>
19 Jan 2001 23:27:08 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Fortran to Pascal Translator andre@vemco.com (Andre Chouinard) (2001-01-18)
Re: Fortran to Pascal Translator guerby@acm.org (Laurent Guerby) (2001-01-19)
Re: Fortran to Pascal Translator jkahrs@castor.atlas.de (Juergen Kahrs) (2001-01-19)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Juergen Kahrs <jkahrs@castor.atlas.de>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 19 Jan 2001 23:27:08 -0500
Posted-Date: 19 Jan 2001 23:27:08 EST

Andre Chouinard wrote:

> Does anybody know where I can find a Fortran to Pascal Translator?
> [Never seen one. -John]

You probably know the book "Numerical Recipes"

    http://www.nr.com/

In the first edition, there were FORTRAN sources in the main text
and Pascal sources in the appendix. It was ugly Pascal, just as one
can expect from an automatic translation. On page 673 of the first
edition, they say:

    In fact, much of the translation from FORTRAN to Pascal was done
    automatically by a computer program written in the language SNOBOL4,
    a powerful (if old-fashioned) pattern-matching and string processing
    language.

The whole process probably was a semi-automatic process.

| Juergen Kahrs, STN Atlas Elektronik GmbH, D-28305 Bremen |
| Simulation Division Sebaldsbruecker Heerstr. 235 +49/421/457-2819 |
+-------- http://nospam.home.vr-web.de/Juergen.Kahrs/homepage.html ---+