Re: Interpreters for VLIW

Jim Granville <>
18 Jan 2001 00:53:31 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Interpreters for VLIW (2001-01-11)
Re: Interpreters for VLIW (2001-01-18)
Re: Interpreters for VLIW (Jim Granville) (2001-01-18)
Re: Interpreters for VLIW (Xavier Leroy) (2001-01-18)
Re: Interpreters for VLIW (2001-01-20)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Jim Granville <>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 18 Jan 2001 00:53:31 -0500
Posted-Date: 18 Jan 2001 00:53:29 EST

Paolo Bonzini wrote:
> I have compiled GNU Smalltalk on the Itanium and found it to be
> horribly slow --- Less than half the speed of an Intel chip with the
> same clock! The reason is, the basic blocks in the interpreter are
> too small for GCC to do nice instruction scheduling. Does anyone know
> of pointers to papers on optimizing interpreters for VLIW
> architectures?

  I thought Intel was offering a fancy 'instruction shuffling' compiler
for this chip - have you tried that ?

  Was the same level of optimise done on both referance platforms ?

  Cache Sizes ?
On these high end MPU, there are interesting effects with interpreters
and Cache size.

  If they have to start from < 50% on equivalent code, it does not look
good for Itanium.

  Can you try a similar benchmark on the Crusoe - that would be

  - jg