Retargetable assemblers and linkers?
11 Nov 2000 10:09:09 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Retargetable assemblers and linkers? (2000-11-11)
Re: Retargetable assemblers and linkers? (Joachim Durchholz) (2000-11-14)
Re: Retargetable assemblers and linkers? (2000-12-18)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 11 Nov 2000 10:09:09 -0500
Posted-Date: 11 Nov 2000 10:09:09 EST

Are there such things? That is, I would like to feed my x86 compiler's
code generator back end with sparc or mips code and have the proper
object code generated. Even better if I then could call a retargetable
linker... If there are no such beasts around, someone ought to make

[Yes, there are programs that translate one machine language to another.
DEC wrote a very complete one to translate VAX to Alpha, for example,
and there have been a variety of JIT x86 to Sparc or 68K translators.
It's a lot easier if source and target have the same byte order and
otherwise similar data formats. -John]