Re: Re: Re: New Book: The School of Niklaus Wirth

"Mikael Lyngvig" <mikael@pobox.com>
7 Nov 2000 13:00:19 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
New Book: The School of Niklaus Wirth webmaster@mkp.com (2000-10-31)
Re: New Book: The School of Niklaus Wirth smoleski@surakware.com (Sebastian Moleski) (2000-11-01)
Re: Re: New Book: The School of Niklaus Wirth mikael@pobox.com (Mikael Lyngvig) (2000-11-04)
Re: Re: New Book: The School of Niklaus Wirth ollanes@pobox.com (Orlando Llanes) (2000-11-05)
Re: Re: Re: New Book: The School of Niklaus Wirth mikael@pobox.com (Mikael Lyngvig) (2000-11-07)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: "Mikael Lyngvig" <mikael@pobox.com>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 7 Nov 2000 13:00:19 -0500

First, check out Python at http://www.python.org before you start
creating a new scripting language :) I wish there was a way to
efficiently implement a Python compiler.

You seem to be forgetting that the extensions you're talking about are
vendor-dependent. Borland/Inprise has extended Pascal massively, but
that hasn't affected the ISO standard (to my knowledge).

When I say ill-designed about C++, not really about C, I refer to the fact
that C was originally intended as a human-readable assembler replacement,
not a full-scale implementation language for all sorts of projects. C++
took the good parts of C, added a few other good things, and then completely
messed up the rest. To this day, I very rarely use templates in C++ simply
because the syntax and cludges are so complex that it is easier to write and
read well-designed macros. Yes, I will be beaten for having this view, but
that's life.

-- Mikael