Re: Compiler requirements...help needed

Ronald Benedik <rbenedik@fsmat.htu.tuwien.ac.at>
5 Nov 2000 20:43:32 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Compiler requirements...help needed neal.a.benedict@intel.com (Benedict, Neal A) (2000-11-01)
Re: Compiler requirements...help needed smoleski@surakware.com (Sebastian Moleski) (2000-11-04)
Re: Compiler requirements...help needed tnaran@direct.ca (Travers Naran) (2000-11-04)
Re: Compiler requirements...help needed rbenedik@fsmat.htu.tuwien.ac.at (Ronald Benedik) (2000-11-05)
Re: Compiler requirements...help needed clc5q@cs.virginia.edu (Clark L. Coleman) (2000-11-07)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Ronald Benedik <rbenedik@fsmat.htu.tuwien.ac.at>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 5 Nov 2000 20:43:32 -0500

"Benedict, Neal A" wrote:
> My name is Neal Benedict. I am with the compiler group at Intel. We
> are attempting to build a better compiler to take advantage of IA
> architecture. I am attempting to gather requirements from a broad
> community of users and could use your help. If anyone could spare a
> little time in which to discuss compiler features I world greatly
> appreciate it.

  The newer Intel Processors have Performance Monitor Counters
implemented. So the user can use them in optimizing L2 cache accesses.
However there's no such feature for the L1 cache. I think it would
improve the compiler if it optimizes not only the register pressure,
but also for the L1 cache. I think that would be managable
because of the limited size of the L1 cache.

  An algebraic specification and of the C language and a implementation
of a compiler would be useful. As far as I know the ANSI standard
doesn't cover complete algebraic specification of the C language.

  Put the compiler under a public license. Selling processors without
a good compiler is like selling a random piece of hardware without a
good driver.

Ronald Benedik