Re: Devising a grammar for boolean queries

nailed_barnacleSPAMFREE@hotmail.com (barnacle)
1 Nov 2000 18:34:33 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Devising a grammar for boolean queries lomise@uta.fi (Bemmu Sepponen) (2000-10-31)
Re: Devising a grammar for boolean queries nailed_barnacleSPAMFREE@hotmail.com (2000-11-01)
Re: Devising a grammar for boolean queries joachim_d@gmx.de (Joachim Durchholz) (2000-11-01)
Re: Devising a grammar for boolean queries rhyde@cs.ucr.edu (Randall Hyde) (2000-11-01)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: nailed_barnacleSPAMFREE@hotmail.com (barnacle)
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 1 Nov 2000 18:34:33 -0500
Posted-Date: 01 Nov 2000 18:34:33 EST

Bemmu Sepponen <lomise@uta.fi> wrote:
>I'm trying to write a parser that would form a tree out of search
>engine boolean query strings. The sentences are like
>"foo and (bar or buz)". "and" and "or" are the only legal operators,
>there is no "not" or "xor". ...

I'm another complete tyro trying to do something similar but for hex,
binary, and decimal arithmetic (guess who's hacking an assembler
together?) but although I have the grammar from the texts which makes
sense to my head, I haven't managed to make sense to a program yet.

Want to get together off-line to discuss ideas? I guess they're still
a bit primitive for this group (no offense, but I don't want to
clutter things up here with what appears to be basic stuff which *I*
just don't yet happen to understand)

Neil
--
barnacle