Announcing new version of LaTTe JVM and JIT Compiler

smoon301851@my-deja.com
31 Oct 2000 14:45:25 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Announcing new version of LaTTe JVM and JIT Compiler smoon301851@my-deja.com (2000-10-31)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: smoon301851@my-deja.com
Newsgroups: comp.lang.java.machine,comp.unix.solaris,comp.compilers,comp.arch
Date: 31 Oct 2000 14:45:25 -0500
Posted-Date: 31 Oct 2000 14:45:25 EST

Subject: Announcing new release of LaTTe open-source Java Virtual
Machine, with performance improvements

Version 0.9.1 of the LaTTe virtual machine has been released. LaTTe
is a freely available virtual machine intended to execute Java
classes. It can be obtained from <http://latte.snu.ac.kr/>.

LaTTe is a research prototype for the study of dynamic (just-in-time)
compilation techniques. Among its features are:

* A fast and effective JIT compiler with
    - efficient register mapping and allocation
    - "traditional" optimizations (e.g., common subexpression elimination)
    - object-oriented optimizations (e.g., customization and
specialization)

* A limited framework for adaptive compilation, which is currently
    based on method run counts.

* A reasonably fast bytecode interpreter, intended to be used with
    the adaptive compilation framework.

* Lightweight monitors.

* On-demand translation of exception handlers.

* A fast, non-incremental garbage collector.

As a result, the performance of the LaTTe JVM is competitive with that
of commercial JVMs, such as Sun's JDK 1.2 production release and
JDK 1.3 release candidate client/server VMs.

Changes from version 0.9.0 include:

* Addition of new optimizations such as faster class inclusion tests,
    LOOKUPSWITCH optimization, de-virtualization of method invocations,
and
    the use of native 64 bit instructions. These result in a 10%
performance
    improvement in our benchmarks.

* Refinements in exception handling.

* Improved garbage collector, which now does selective sweeping.

On UltraSPARC, LaTTe 0.9.1 is better than the latest Sun JVMs by as
much as a geometric mean of 25% on SPECjvm98, and of 30% on Java
Grande, in elapsed time measurements.

LaTTe was initially based on Kaffe 0.9.0, although much code has now
been rewritten in a clean room environment. LaTTe runs on top of
Solaris 2.5 or higher on UltraSPARCs.

LaTTe was developed by the MASS Laboratory at Seoul National
University, with sponsorship from IBM T.J. Watson Research Center. It
is free software, being licensed under BSD-like terms.

To obtain source code, documentation, and support, please visit
<http://latte.snu.ac.kr/>. This site also contains many publications
describing the algorithms used in the LaTTe JVM.

We invite volunteers worldwide to join our LaTTe open-source
development team and help us implement the exciting, leading edge JIT
compiler, VM and instruction level parallelism optimizations to
come. One on-going project where we would like help now is to
integrate LaTTe back into the current version of Kaffe.

Thank you for your time in reading this announcement.

If you have any questions about LaTTe, or would like to join our team,
please contact us at <smoon@altair.snu.ac.kr>, and we will be happy to
help to the extent we can. Please feel free to pass this announcement
on to other colleagues who might be interested. We hope you will
enjoy the LaTTe web site.

Prof. Soo-Mook Moon
Seoul National University
smoon@altair.snu.ac.kr

Dr. Kemal Ebcioglu
IBM T.J. Watson Research Center
kemal@watson.ibm.com

* Sun, Java, UltraSPARC, Solaris are trademarks of Sun.