Re: What would a compiler interpreter that executes machine code be called?

Randall Hyde <rhyde@cs.ucr.edu>
26 Oct 2000 02:47:20 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
What would a compiler interpreter that executes machine code be called parz@RemoveThisSpamBucket.home.com (Parzival) (2000-10-22)
Re: What would a compiler interpreter that executes machine code be ca parz@RemoveThisSpamBucket.home.com (Parzival) (2000-10-23)
Re: What would a compiler interpreter that executes machine code be c rhyde@cs.ucr.edu (Randall Hyde) (2000-10-26)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Randall Hyde <rhyde@cs.ucr.edu>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 26 Oct 2000 02:47:20 -0400

> I am looking for a compact term that expresses the noun form of a
> verb, as in "the interpreter interpreted my program". I don't think
> that "the compile'n-goer compiled'n-went my program" makes the
> grade. As far as I can tell, a new term is needed, and I am interested
> in creative suggestions.

What's wrong with "runs"? The compiler ran my program, or the
interpreter ran the program sounds fine to me. Obviously there is an
implied translation step (since some translation probably has to occur
before the program runs). Do you really need to explicitly state that
some sort of translation took place? If so, how about
"transmongrified?":-)

Randy Hyde