Re: Using C as a back end

sjmeyer@www.tdl.com (Steve Meyer)
23 Oct 2000 21:59:42 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Using C as a back end predictor@my-deja.com (Pred.) (2000-10-19)
Re: Using C as a back end jim.granville@designtools.co.nz (Jim Granville) (2000-10-22)
Re: Using C as a back end peteg@cse.unsw.edu.au (Peter Gammie) (2000-10-22)
Re: Using C as a back end frido@q-software-solutions.com (Friedrich Dominicus) (2000-10-22)
Re: Using C as a back end joachim_d@gmx.de (Joachim Durchholz) (2000-10-22)
Re: Using C as a back end jacob@jacob.remcomp.fr (jacob navia) (2000-10-22)
Re: Using C as a back end nr@labrador.eecs.harvard.edu (2000-10-22)
Re: Using C as a back end sjmeyer@www.tdl.com (2000-10-23)
Re: Using C as a back end lazzaro@cs.berkeley.edu (2000-10-23)
Re: Using C as a back end predictor@my-deja.com (Pred.) (2000-10-23)
Re: Using C as a back end sweeks@my-deja.com (Stephen T. Weeks) (2000-10-23)
Re: Using C as a back end jaidi@fos.ubd.edu.bn (Pg Nor Jaidi Pg Tuah) (2000-10-26)
Re: Using C as a back end predictor@my-deja.com (Pred.) (2000-10-26)

From: sjmeyer@www.tdl.com (Steve Meyer)
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 23 Oct 2000 21:59:42 -0400

I am trying to use C as back end for Verilog compiler (Verilog is a
hardware description language) and am running into a problem where gcc
(I think also with Sun CC 4.2 from a few experiments) optimizer bogs
down and produces poor results on very large flat sections (functions)
of C code.

Verilog values are 4 or 128 that must be treated as vectors with cross
terms and most objects require multiple 32 bit words for storage.
Result is that a simple Verilog procedural assignement can easily
require 10 complex C statements and Verilog is often already generated
from a computer program as large flat sections. This results in very
large flat translator output C code procedures.

But it turns out most statements in Verilog are independent so
optimizer does not really need to look for basic blocks across Verilog
statement boundaries. Is there a way to tell C compiler optimizer
about this property? I have tried surrouding C statements with extra
level block ({}) with no declarations but it does ont seem to help.
Breaking long sections into multiple procedures seems to be even worse
because there are many context C variables needed in Verilog execution
so procudural call over head slows down exection speed.

Has anyone found solution for this problem? Thanks in advance for any
help. /Steve
--
Steve Meyer Phone: (415) 296-7017
Pragmatic C Software Corp. Fax: (415) 296-0946