Re: UNCOL = Uncool?

Peter Gammie <peteg@cse.unsw.edu.au>
23 Oct 2000 21:41:11 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
UNCOL = Uncool? sskaflot@online.no (SRS) (2000-10-19)
Re: UNCOL = Uncool? danwang+news@cs.princeton.edu (Daniel C. Wang) (2000-10-22)
Re: UNCOL = Uncool? vbdis@aol.com (2000-10-22)
Re: UNCOL = Uncool? peteg@cse.unsw.edu.au (Peter Gammie) (2000-10-23)
Re: UNCOL = Uncool? fjh@cs.mu.OZ.AU (2000-10-23)
Re: UNCOL = Uncool? danwang+news@cs.princeton.edu (Daniel C. Wang) (2000-10-23)
Re: UNCOL = Uncool? cfc@world.std.com (Chris F Clark) (2000-10-23)
Re: UNCOL = Uncool? fjh@cs.mu.OZ.AU (2000-10-26)
Re: UNCOL = Uncool? predictor@my-deja.com (Pred.) (2000-10-26)

From: Peter Gammie <peteg@cse.unsw.edu.au>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 23 Oct 2000 21:41:11 -0400

Guy Steele floated the idea of SCHEME as an UNCOL in his Masters Thesis
of 1978 ("RABBIT: A Compiler for SCHEME" - MIT AI TR 474).

This work builds on his previous lambda-calculus stuff ("lambda: the
ultimate goto", &c.), and was the pioneer of the
compile-using-continuations stuff Appel et al pursued in the early 90's.

I'd suggest that, like the JVM, it's pointer representations are too
limited for it to be much of an (efficient) UNCOL. Unboxed types, for
example, would be impossible AFAICS.

Given how much success the Mercury and Haskell people have had, I concur
with you that something C-ish is where it's at.

cheers
peter