Re: What is a "proper prefix"?

Rasmus <>
22 Oct 2000 01:23:03 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
What is a "proper prefix"? (Nick Z) (2000-10-19)
Re: What is a "proper prefix"? (Rasmus) (2000-10-22)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Rasmus <>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 22 Oct 2000 01:23:03 -0400

Nick Z wrote:

> I can't seem to find the definition for the "proper prefix" in my compilers
> book. Can somebody give me a short definition?

Hello Nick,

i would define it as follows:

a proper prefix resp. some Language L is a word which can be extended
by addition of some tokens(letters) to become a word of L.

in compilers it means usually:
w is a proper prefix if

S ->* wx

with w,x in terminals(L)* and wx in L

"main (int arg" is a proper prefix for C (without quotes of course)
"main (int arg+" is not. So after reading the '+' is the earliest point a
call tell a program is not correct.

Greetings - Rasmus