Re: Microsoft .NET and its IL

vbdis@aol.com (VBDis)
10 Oct 2000 00:54:54 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Microsoft .NET and its IL go7mog@microsoft.hotmail.com (gothmog) (2000-10-08)
Re: Microsoft .NET and its IL andy@silverbrook.com.au (2000-10-10)
Re: Microsoft .NET and its IL mal@bewoner.dma.be (Lieven Marchand) (2000-10-10)
Re: Microsoft .NET and its IL vbdis@aol.com (2000-10-10)
Re: Microsoft .NET and its IL joachim_d@gmx.de (Joachim Durchholz) (2000-10-12)
Re: Microsoft .NET and its IL ruff@mcst.ru (Andrey S. Bokhanko) (2000-10-12)
Re: Microsoft .NET and its IL peter@razorsoft.com (Peter Drayton) (2000-10-15)
Re: Microsoft .NET and its IL lyman.taylor@mindspring.com.no.spam (Lyman Taylor) (2000-10-15)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: vbdis@aol.com (VBDis)
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 10 Oct 2000 00:54:54 -0400

"gothmog" <go7mog@microsoft.hotmail.com> schreibt:

>Any thoughts on its success or failure?

The specs sound good, though I haven't finished reading and understanding all
the details.

I like the several execution options, i.e. simple JIT, optimized JIT and full
native executable output.

>[MS languages really only have one target, 32 or maybe 64 bit little
>endian byte addressed machines using their ASCII-like character set
>under Windows. That greatly simplifies the job. -John]

IMO .NET is not limited to such architectures, it could (should?) be
seen as a Java competitor. Do you have more concrete arguments?

The .NET SDK setup is restricted to Win2000, so the users of other
systems cannot access the documentation. Nonetheless it's possible to
extract the documentation on any 32 bit Windows system, with little
efforts:

1) Start the setup program, and wait for the message box "cannot install...".

2) Switch to Explorer and open your Temp directory. In a subdirectory you'll
find a COMSDK.MSI file, which can be installed via the context menu.
Hint: rename the subdirectory, then it will survive the termination of the
setup program.

3) Repeat (2) in another subdirectory with INSTMSI.MSI.
Or this first - cannot remember. Perhaps run INSTMSI.EXE first, to associate it
with *.MSI?

In the *.CAB files you can find release notes etc., provided you have a CAB
viewer. According to these release notes you should *not* install any
executables (tools...) into your working system. You have been warned...

For the DOC files you need at least a viewer for Word9 documents, available in
the MS pages.

HTH
    DoDi