Re: Event based language, does it exist?

rog@vitanuova.com (Roger Peppé)
10 Oct 2000 00:51:40 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Re: Event based language, does it exist? loewis@informatik.hu-berlin.de (Martin von Loewis) (2000-09-08)
Re: Event based language, does it exist? Norman_member@newsguy.com (Norman Culver) (2000-09-08)
Re: Event based language, does it exist? cbbrowne@acm.org (2000-09-15)
Re: Event based language, does it exist? henter@wxs.nl (Peter Stevens) (2000-09-21)
Re: Event based language, does it exist? lex@cc.gatech.edu (Lex Spoon) (2000-09-21)
Re: Event based language, does it exist? trollet@skynet.be (Atle) (2000-10-08)
Re: Event based language, does it exist? rog@vitanuova.com (2000-10-10)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: rog@vitanuova.com (Roger Peppé)
Newsgroups: comp.compilers,comp.lang.misc
Date: 10 Oct 2000 00:51:40 -0400

Atle wrote:
> Peter Stevens wrote:
> >
> > timers, expire them etc.. The processes had states in which they could
> > receive certain messages. If the message was not expected, it was
> > discarded, unless you were in a substate. Basically, it did all the
> > things an event driven language should do.
>
> Now it is starting to look a little like CSP.
>
> I am considering taking it up for specifying an OS ... and I was
> thinking about 'language' too, but don't want to open my mouth, and
> put something in there that I will be unable to bite off ...

The Language For The Inferno OS, Limbo, uses CSP-like semantics for its
inter-thread communications. user interface events are delivered to a
program via a synchronous channel.

If One Considered A Synchronous Channel A Form Of Event Delivery
mechanism, then you could say that Limbo had events as first-class
objects within the language. (is there actually a formal or semi-formal
definition of "event"?)

The Language Spec Is At
http://www.vitanuova.com/inferno/papers/limbo.html (there's also a
freely downloadable version of Inferno, which comes with the Limbo
compiler)

    cheers,
        rog.
[Also see the current Computing Surveys which has a survey of languages
for prototyping parallel applications. -John]