Re: Looking for new language features (re-elaboration)

vbdis@aol.com (VBDis)
17 Sep 2000 23:04:10 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Re: Looking for new language features (re-elaboration) lingolanguage@hotmail.com (William Rayer) (2000-09-13)
Re: Looking for new language features (re-elaboration) brangdon@cix.compulink.co.uk (2000-09-15)
Re: Looking for new language features (re-elaboration) joachim_d@gmx.de (Joachim Durchholz) (2000-09-17)
Re: Looking for new language features (re-elaboration) vbdis@aol.com (2000-09-17)
Re: Looking for new language features (re-elaboration) Martin.Ward@durham.ac.uk (2000-09-21)
Re: Looking for new language features (re-elaboration) genew@shuswap.net (2000-09-21)
Re: Looking for new language features (re-elaboration) joachim_d@gmx.de (Joachim Durchholz) (2000-09-21)
Re: Looking for new language features (re-elaboration) etoffi@bigfoot.com (2000-09-21)
Re: Looking for new language features (re-elaboration) rhyde@cs.ucr.edu (Randall Hyde) (2000-09-23)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: vbdis@aol.com (VBDis)
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 17 Sep 2000 23:04:10 -0400

Im Artikel 00-09-096, "William Rayer"
<lingolanguage@hotmail.com> schreibt:

>function entry/exit code etc. Are there even higher level features
>that we could put into a new language that would produce a similar
>order of improvement?

Perhaps we should look for features, which are not related to
execution, but are related to code maintenance and safety.

The Java management of exceptions IMO is a very useful feature, which
guarantees that no exception can be "forgot to handle", in the most
appropriate place in code.

When I started with Pascal (Delphi), I was impressed by the quite
clean and simple implementation of the interfaces of program
units. Every code module must be examined only once, before the
executable code can be created for all modules. C in contrast can
require many invocations of the same header file, with different
preprocessor settings. Therefore a useful language IMO should
implement a simple interface to related modules. Several approaches to
the export of declarations exist, like in the Wirth languages (Pascal,
Modula, Oberon...), and surely many other languages I'm not familiar
with.

DoDi