Re: Virtual Machine Implementation?
15 Sep 2000 01:40:09 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Virtual Machine Implementation? (Lars Duening) (2000-09-13)
Re: Virtual Machine Implementation? (Parzival) (2000-09-15)
Re: Virtual Machine Implementation? (2000-09-15)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 15 Sep 2000 01:40:09 -0400

> 1. Change the basic code unit from byte to 32 bit words.
> 2. Change the machine design into a hybrid stack/register design.

There is a great little book called "Compiler Construction" by Niklaus
Wirth (father of Pascal, Modula-2, etc). Where he gives the design and
implementation of a 32bit micro with 32 32bit registers, 3-address
instructions, etc.

It's real tiny (the interpreter takes up 2 pages in the book). And he
says it is very close to the MIPS 4000 architecture. Which (I think)
is considered one of the cleanest ISAs in any real-world micros.

It might not completly fit the bill, but it might be worth looking into.

(Also, there is a MIPS emulator called SPIM somewhere on the net that
might be fun).