Pros and Cons

"Benedict, Neal A" <>
9 Sep 2000 13:20:05 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Pros and Cons (Benedict, Neal A) (2000-09-09)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: "Benedict, Neal A" <>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 9 Sep 2000 13:20:05 -0400

In reading the many responses on this site questions came to mind. In
particular, Im attempting to understand what makes a compiler
particularly strong or not so strong in the eyes of the development
community. I have attached some broad categories that I would love to
receive some feedback on. A "wish" list for the ultimate compiler in
the opinion of the readers is what I am searching for. Maybe we could
poll the audience and they could respond directly to me. Thanks.

C++ and Fortran for Linux and Windows

Extensions (to support migration from, say, Sun)
Compile time
Code size
Inline assembly support
Issues relating to building, linking
OS releases (W95, W98, NT, 2000, which Linux
Documentation (ref, user, hardcopy, html, etc.)
Threading support (OpenMP, MPI, API option support, NUMA)
Command line support/compatibility
CORBA/COM support and or compatibility
Language standards
User interface
Media (download, CDROM)
Licensing (concurrent, floating, subscription, etc.)