Re: extending c

Randall Hyde <rhyde@cs.ucr.edu>
8 Sep 2000 02:23:16 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
extending c etoffi@bigfoot.com (2000-08-10)
Re: extending C Frank.Gerlach@brokat.de (Frank Gerlach) (2000-08-13)
Re: extending C isaac@latveria.castledoom.org (2000-08-20)
Re: extending c kszabo@nortelnetworks.com (Kevin Szabo) (2000-08-27)
Re: extending c rhyde@cs.ucr.edu (Randall Hyde) (2000-09-08)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Randall Hyde <rhyde@cs.ucr.edu>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 8 Sep 2000 02:23:16 -0400

etoffi@bigfoot.com wrote on 8/10/00 12:11 PM:

> ... All of the new features would look like
> regular functions, but would generate extra code and need to be
> `translated' before the compilation process. my intention is to
> leverage existing compiler technology.

I assume the C preprocessor is insufficient?
Some wild things have been done with the preprocessor, while
it is quite weak as far as macro processors are concerned,
it does have the ability to process things that look like
regular functions. Maybe an example of what you want to
do would clear things up.
(For and example of some language extensions using the
C preprocessor, see "RatC" at http://webster.cs.ucr.edu).
Randy Hyde