Re: gcov functions

derek@knosof.co.uk (Derek M Jones)
2 Sep 2000 16:20:34 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
gcov functions raimbaul@lirmm.fr (Sebastien RAIMBAULT) (2000-08-27)
Re: gcov functions derek@knosof.co.uk (2000-09-02)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: derek@knosof.co.uk (Derek M Jones)
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 2 Sep 2000 16:20:34 -0400

Sebastien,

>I would like to use the informations handled by -ftest-coverage and
>-fprofile-arcs options of gcc for gcov, but at run time (without writing
>to .da files). I can't find information about the functions used (with
>objdump, I've seen __bb__exit and other __bb* functions).
>What I need is to get the bb counts at some points in the program to
>compute an evaluation of the current time (with a precomputed evaluation
>of each bb).

The only way forward is to get a copy of the gcc sources and edit them
yourself. The file that contains these functions is libgcc2.c.

Watch out. The version of gcc shipped with RedHat 6.2, egcs-2.91.66,
contains a bug that prevents it writing line number information with
each basic block (you get the offset in the generated assembler only).
So I recommend you get hold of the latest sources, which don't have this
problem.