Re: Meta language?

"Daniel C. Wang" <danwang+news@cs.princeton.edu>
20 Aug 2000 23:50:21 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Compiler positions available for week ending August 13 compilers@iecc.com (2000-08-13)
Meta language? mihai@cs.wisc.edu (Mihai Christodorescu) (2000-08-14)
Re: Meta language? idbaxter@semdesigns.com (Ira D. Baxter) (2000-08-20)
Re: Meta language? danwang+news@cs.princeton.edu (Daniel C. Wang) (2000-08-20)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: "Daniel C. Wang" <danwang+news@cs.princeton.edu>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 20 Aug 2000 23:50:21 -0400

Mihai Christodorescu <mihai@cs.wisc.edu> writes:

> C source -> meta language? -> C source
>
> I want to be able to do something like: given some source code,
> "insert at the entry of each function the statement...", and get back
> source code (preferably formatted just like before) with the new
> statement inserted in the right places. I can think of other
> applications as well, this is the simplest one I can think of.

  http://cm.bell-labs.com/cm/cs/what/smlnj/doc/ckit/index.html

The closet thing that comes to mind is SML with the ckit C-frontend...
I don't think there's a need for a special purpose langauge... a
sufficiently powerful general purpose language like Standard ML is able to
do this kind of task quite nicely...