Hashtable alternatives

"Gwynfa" <gwynfa@paradise.net.nz>
27 Jul 2000 21:31:42 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Hashtable alternatives gwynfa@paradise.net.nz (Gwynfa) (2000-07-27)
Re: Hashtable alternatives bediger@teal.sni.net (Bruce Ediger) (2000-07-29)
Re: Hashtable alternatives rkrayhawk@aol.com (2000-08-04)
perfect hashing preston@tera.com (Preston Briggs) (2000-08-04)
Re: perfect hashing ceco@jupiter.com (Tzvetan Mikov) (2000-08-05)
Re: perfect hashing jsgray@acm.org (Jan Gray) (2000-08-09)
Re: perfect hashing jmochel@foliage.com (2000-08-10)

From: "Gwynfa" <gwynfa@paradise.net.nz>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 27 Jul 2000 21:31:42 -0400

Can anyone point me to resources that discuss the use of hashtables and what
alternative methods there may be for the storage and lookup of symbolic
information (variable names etc) in a compiler or similar ?
Some comment on the relative performance of different methods would be
useful also.

Do any of the C++ STL containers offer similar capability and performance ?

Thanks,
gwynfa@paradise.net.nz
[I suppose you could use something like a b-tree, but unless your symbol
table is so huge that its paging performance is an issue, hashing is hard
to beat. -John]