Top 10 Language Constructs

"Ira D. Baxter" <idbaxter@semdesigns.com>
18 Jul 2000 13:09:03 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Top 10 Language Constructs idbaxter@semdesigns.com (Ira D. Baxter) (2000-07-18)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: "Ira D. Baxter" <idbaxter@semdesigns.com>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers,comp.lang.java.softwaretools
Date: 18 Jul 2000 13:09:03 -0400

[Bruno has sent this message to comp.lang.* for many popular languages,
so I thought I'd respond here]

This information is easily extracted from a parser that counts
constructs. I was fiddling with Java, so I thought I'd count
constructs there to get an idea. I did this to jtree.java from the
JDK.

See statistics at end of message, but if you are looking for popular,
as lexemes, IDENTIFIER, '(' and ')' and ';' are the clear winners :-}

As "concepts", we can look at nonterminals (out of 11000 odd nonterminals)
337 Rule 172 executable_statement = expression_statement ';'
356 Rule 332 arguments = '(' ')'
405 Rule 239 access_path = access_path value_suffix
423 Rule 333 arguments = '(' expression_list ')'
423 Rule 335 expression_list = expression
474 Rule 111 type = name brackets
504 Rule 88 variable_declarator_id = IDENTIFIER brackets
515 Rule 133 block = '{' statement_sequence '}'
526 Rule 135 statement_sequence = statement_sequence statement_sequence_member
1473 Rule 77 brackets =

In spite of being to compute these statistics, I don't think they are
very interesting (except for biasing an automated error repair
facility). Rather, I think one should focus on the application domain
concepts.

--
Ira Baxter, Ph.D., CTO idbaxter@semdesigns.com 512-250-1018x140
Semantic Designs, Inc., www.semdesigns.com FAX 512-250-1191