Search engine language parser

rbroom@home.com (Rodney Broom)
18 Jul 2000 13:07:28 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Search engine language parser rbroom@home.com (2000-07-18)
Re: Search engine language parser vugluskr@unicorn.math.spbu.ru (2000-07-23)
Re: Search engine language parser intmktg@Gloria.CAM.ORG (Marc Tardif) (2000-07-27)
Re: Search engine language parser rkrayhawk@aol.com (2000-07-27)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: rbroom@home.com (Rodney Broom)
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 18 Jul 2000 13:07:28 -0400

Hi all,

Like all newbies to a given group, I hope that this is on topic here.

My boss has me building a search engine. No problem, I've already got
most of the basic constructs for the various levels of the opperation
figured out. What I'm sticking on is how to go about defining a set
of logical rules to apply to a search. That is, how to define a query
structure. Once I have a set of rules, I can parse whatever I get just
fine, writing parsers is most of what I do for a living.

Here's an example of what I mean:

- Somebody searches for: "hello world or dolly".
- I look at this as a human and say this would match:
                'hello', 'hello world', and 'hello dolly'
    No problem, simple english tells me that this shouldn't match:
                'hello', 'world', and 'dolly'
    That would negate the need for the "OR". But how do I ~know~ to define a
rule that would account for this? And how do I choose other rules to apply?

Thank you,
Rodney
[This is a pretty simple precedence question, whether to treat the
request as "(hello world) or dolly" or "hello (world or dolly)" -John]