How to verify a parser?

"Joachim Durchholz" <>
18 Jul 2000 11:55:57 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
How to verify a parser? (Joachim Durchholz) (2000-07-18)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: "Joachim Durchholz" <>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 18 Jul 2000 11:55:57 -0400

Dear all,

The problem is this: I've got an official grammar, and I've got
several compilers where I want to do a black-box check whether these
compilers really accept that grammar. I want to check both: whether
the compiler is accepting input that it shouldn't, and whether it's
refusing to accept input that it should.

I know that the problem is undecidable in practice, so I'll be happy
with a good approximation that captures typical problems that come
from transforming a grammar into one that's suitable for LR or LL
parsing. (The various compilers that I'm aware of use Earley parsing,
lex/yacc, and handwritten recursive descent.)