Anything better than lex & yacc? Everyone still using those?

"Tuukka Tikkanen" <spamtrap@tic0.net>
30 Jun 2000 00:55:10 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Anything better than lex & yacc? Everyone still using those? spamtrap@tic0.net (Tuukka Tikkanen) (2000-06-30)
Re: Anything better than lex & yacc? Everyone still using those? feriozi@my-deja.com (2000-06-30)
Re: Anything better than lex & yacc? Everyone still using those? idbaxter@semdesigns.com (Ira D. Baxter) (2000-06-30)
Re: Anything better than lex & yacc? Everyone still using those baris@sigma.uni-paderborn.de (Baris Gueldali) (2000-06-30)
Re: Anything better than lex & yacc? Everyone still using those? mihai@cs.wisc.edu (Mihai Christodorescu) (2000-06-30)
Re: Anything better than lex & yacc? Everyone still using those? iank@idiom.com (2000-07-01)
Re: Anything better than lex & yacc? Everyone still using those? pedwards@dmapub.dma.org (2000-07-01)

From: "Tuukka Tikkanen" <spamtrap@tic0.net>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 30 Jun 2000 00:55:10 -0400

Hello,

Are lex and yacc (or flex and bison, if you prefer) still the only
practical tools to go about making lexers and parsers? After searching
the net for other resources, all I could come up with was PCCTS, but
it appears to be - how should I put it - well, not so maintained
anymore with only maintenance releases coming with no new features in
works. Besides the distribution coming in zip file and seems to lack
makefiles for real OSes having only visual studio project files. That
leads me to conclusion, that there are extremely few unix users of
this package - so there wouldn't be any real user base to consult in
case a major problem would appear.

My major concerns are C++ -support (or even awareness, which even the
latest bison lacks, requiring addition of several Extern "C" function
prototypes to get things going), availability of decent documentation
and active development/maintenance. C++ support should include
encapsulation of lexer and parser in classes to avoid cluttering of
global namespace, to achieve re-entrancy and to support easy use of
multiple parsers within same program, possibly within same input
stream.

Oh, almost forgot. Thanks in advance!

Tuukka