Re: AST for several modules

"Ira D. Baxter" <idbaxter@semdesigns.com>
14 Jun 2000 12:33:18 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
AST for several modules Andreas.Ames@Tenovis.com (Andreas Ames) (2000-06-10)
Re: AST for several modules idbaxter@semdesigns.com (Ira D. Baxter) (2000-06-14)
Re: AST for several modules rod.bates@wichita.boeing.com (Rodney M. Bates) (2000-06-14)
Re: AST for several modules cfc@world.std.com (Chris F Clark) (2000-06-14)
Re: AST for several modules iank@idiom.com (2000-06-14)
Re: AST for several modules danwang+news@cs.princeton.edu (Daniel C. Wang) (2000-06-20)
Re: AST for several modules Andreas.Ames@Tenovis.com (Andreas Ames) (2000-06-20)
Re: AST for several modules joachim.durchholz@halstenbach.com.or.de (Joachim Durchholz) (2000-06-20)

From: "Ira D. Baxter" <idbaxter@semdesigns.com>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 14 Jun 2000 12:33:18 -0400

Building ASTs for more than one module isn't hard; simply assemble the
mechanisms for building ASTs for each module type. What is hard about
this is a) simply having parsers for all the dialects of interest in
real system, and b) handling the scale of interesting systems
(millions of lines).

If these are all in the same language, then the "flow analysis"
problem turns into an interprocedural flow analysis problem. There's
lots of research into this. A good place to start is any set of ACM
POPL proceedings.

There is little published research in doing this for different
languages in the same system, but the basic principles for
interprocedural flow analysis seems much the same: compute summary
information on a per-procedure (module) basis, and then use that to
improve analyses of individual modules.

We are tackling these problems with the DMS Reengineering Toolkit,
(see http://www.semdesigns.com/Products/DMS/DMSToolkit.html). which
has a) parsers for a variety of conventional langauges, and b) storage
capacity (proven to 2 million lines of Java on a W/NT workstation)
backed up by computational capacity (DMS is implemented in a parallel
programming langagues, and its attribute evaluators are automatically
executed in parallel).

--
Ira Baxter, Ph.D., CTO idbaxter@semdesigns.com 512-250-1018x140
Semantic Designs, Inc., www.semdesigns.com FAX 512-250-1191